Online journalism degree from CSU
Leverage your creativity and your interest in world events, storytelling, and media technology to earn a degree that can lead to a wide variety of careers. This online journalism bachelor's degree builds foundational communication skills that are sought after in nearly any industry. Hone your writing and editing skills, learn to use digital technology to reach and engage audiences around the globe, and gain perspective on the role of media in our society.
Taught by expert media professionals with years of experience in the field, courses cover such areas as:
- Newswriting, magazine writing, and online storytelling
- Advertising, public relations, and marketing
- Video and photo production and editing
- Web design
- Media ethics, law, and history
Direct career applicability
This program places a strong emphasis on helping you find a career once you finish your degree. In addition to teaching you writing and technical skills, the curriculum includes requirements to give you first-hand experience in the field and the chance to build a professional portfolio.
- Complete an internship in a student media organization, through a study abroad course, or at an organization of your choice.
- Take a capstone class that:
- Features guest speakers with experience in a variety of different jobs.
- Teaches you how to embark on the search for a career with job hunting and resume writing techniques.
- Helps you build a web-based portfolio of your work from classes and your internship.
Expanding your breadth of knowledge
If you want to work as a media and communications professional, it's important to expand your knowledge of other subjects. This program requires that you take a number of credits outside of the department. You have the option of applying these credits to a degree minor. Learn more about this on the curriculum page.
A broad range of career options
Skilled communicators are needed in many different industries and organizations. With a bachelor's degree in journalism and media communication, you will be prepared to pursue a career in fields like marketing, mass media, journalism, public relations, nonprofit, government, and private industry.
Career opportunities in journalism and media include:
- Investigative or news reporter
- Editor or associate editor
- Media developer or producer
- Professional blogger or vlogger
- Photojournalist or videographer
- Freelance or travel writer
Career opportunities in marketing and advertising include:
- Creative director or marketing manager
- Marketing strategist
- Advertising copywriter
- Graphic designer
- Social media specialist
- Content marketing specialist
Other possible career opportunities include:
- PR specialist or company spokesperson
- Grant writer
- Technical writer
- On-air personality
- Public speaker
Enjoy the flexibility and collaboration of online learning
This program allows you to earn your bachelor's degree from CSU — a regionally accredited research university — no matter where you are located. Maintain balance between your job responsibilities, personal obligations, and studies as you develop professional credentials that can help you pursue a new career or advancement opportunity.
Earning your degree online doesn't mean studying alone. In fact, you will have many opportunities to interact with your instructors and peers throughout the program. Class interactions can involve discussion forums, live chat, video conferencing, and email conversations.
In addition to earning your Bachelor of Arts, you also have the option to further specialize your knowledge and enhance your degree with an academic
minor in a specialized area of study.