This course introduces germination and other seed viability testing. Students become familiar with the source of the germination working sample, the AOSA rules for performing the standard germination test, planting the test, evaluating the seedlings, and reporting the results.
In addition to the required books listed below (under Textbooks and Materials), the student may find the following optional books helpful:
- "SEEDS: Physiology of Development and Germination," J.D. Bewley and M. Black, 1994, ISBN: 978-0306447487
- "Seeds: Ecology, Biogeography, and Evolution of Dormancy and Germination," Carol C. and Jerry M. Baskin, 2000, ISBN: 978-0120802630
- "Viability of Seeds," E. H. Roberts
- "Basic and Applied Aspects of Seed Biology," edited by Ellis, Black, Murdoch, and Hong, 2007, ISBN: 978-0792343639
Written consent of instructor.
Textbooks and Materials
- Principles of Seed Science and Technology, 4th Ed. (2001)
Copeland and McDonald
- Rules for Testing Seed CD (includes Rules & Seedling Eval Handbook 2010) (2010)
- Seed Technology Training Manual
Society of Commercial Seed Technologists
Not available at the CSU Bookstore
- SEEDS: Physiology of Development and Germination
J.D. Bewley and M. Black
Textbooks and materials can be purchased at the CSU Bookstore unless otherwise indicated.
AOSA (Association of Official Seed Analysts) publications and the Seed Technology Training Manual can be purchased on the AOSA website, http://www.aosaseed.com/publications.html.