This course enhances students' knowledge of atypical development in early childhood (birth through grade 3). Additionally, the course includes recommended practices for assessment, intervention, adapted instruction and materials, and inclusive environments to facilitate children's attainment of educational goals.
Course Learning Objectives
- Describe and compare historical approaches to educational programs and services for children with special needs in early childhood including current legislation and federally-funded programs.
- Describe and apply knowledge of developmental delays and disabilities (e.g. developmental domains of motor, cognition, communication, social-emotional development and mental health) in early childhood.
- Describe, compare, and apply knowledge of both informal and formal assessments appropriate to early childhood education for the following areas: motor, cognition, communication, social-emotional development, and mental health.
- Identify and apply knowledge of the functions of an IFSP and IEP including child and family goals, team collaboration, and plans for service delivery.
- Apply current research on effective developmentally appropriate educational practices to teaching young children with special needs.
- Select appropriate educational materials and environments to meet the educational needs of children with various special needs.
- Describe and apply means of collecting data on child progress.
HDFS 310 (Infant and Child Development in Context) or PSY 260 (Child Psychology); completion of 30 credits.
All prerequisites must be completed or consent from the instructor given prior to enrollment.
If you register for this course after the start of the term, please contact the instructor at the time of registration. By contacting the instructor, you ensure you are added to the CANVAS section as soon as possible and have access to the course and details about the class requirements.
Textbooks and Materials
Textbooks and materials can be purchased at the CSU Bookstore unless otherwise indicated.
- Adapting Early Childhood Curricula for Children with Special Needs, 9th Ed. (2016)
Cook, R.E., Klein, M.D., & Chen, D.