Center administration related to program development and operations, budgeting, state regulations and licensing,and personnel issues.
Course Learning Objectives:
- Demonstrate familiarity with minimal licensing requirements for the state of Colorado for facilities that care for and educate young children.
- Identify the minimal and optimal standards for programs for young children.
- Discuss the human relations and advocacy components of the early childhood professional's responsibilities.
- Identify and be familiar with the administrative skills necessary for running an early childhood center.
- Define advocacy and its purpose in child care centers.
This course has exams that require the use of electronic proctoring through ProctorU. Please see https://www.proctoru.com/students. for detailed instructions. The cost for online proctoring through ProctorU is included in the cost of the course for students enrolled in CSU Online course sections. Students are responsible for purchasing any hardware that may be needed for exams taken with ProctorU, including a webcam and microphone, and for scheduling proctoring appointments at least three days in advance (otherwise, a late fee is charged, which is the student’s responsibility). For students requiring accommodations, please contact http://www.rds.colostate.edu/.
This course can be applied toward:
HDFS 310 (Infant and Child Development in Context) or PSY 260 (Child Psychology) and completion of 60 credits.
All prerequisites must be completed or consent from the instructor given prior to enrollment.
If you register for this course after the start of the term, please contact the instructor at the time of registration. By contacting the instructor, you ensure you are added to the CANVAS section as soon as possible and have access to the course and details about the class requirements.
Textbooks and Materials
Textbooks and materials can be purchased at the CSU Bookstore unless otherwise indicated.
- Colo. Gen. Rules/Regul. Child Care Facilities (revised 8/11)
Div. of Child Care/Colo. Dept. Human. Srvcs. Rules/Regs./Interpr. Memos
- Developing and Administering a Child Care and Education Program, 9th Ed. (2015)
Sciarra, Dorothy J.; Dorsey, Anne G.; and Lynch, Ellen
- The Pre-K Debates: Current Controversies and Issues (2011)
Zigler, E., Gilliam, W. & Barnett, W.S.
- The Visionary Director, 2nd Ed. (2009)
Carter, M. & Curtis, D.
Course materials provided on CANVAS.