CSU's online Graduate Certificate in Adventure Tourism is a first of its kind in the nation, designed to prepare you with the managerial skills to create your own outdoor venture, or take a leadership role in the industry.
Earn your adventure tourism certificate online
"The outdoor recreation industry represents a new economy," according to Luis Benitez, director of the Colorado Outdoor Recreation Industry Office. "The leaders of this economy will need to have a deep understanding of our natural resources, and how to integrate the components of innovation, health, and wellness into a vision for what comes next."
Gain the skills required to successfully develop and manage land-, water-, and air-based adventures. Offered in a flexible online format, the adventure tourism certificate allows students from around the world to complete coursework from wherever they are. Courses include narrated presentations, discussion groups, and a range of multi-media content, including video interviews with industry experts.
Do well while doing good
Faculty blend operations management practices with natural resource management practices, focusing on a collaborative approach rather than a business model based on competition. Everyone wins when you do the right things for the environment, the community, and the venture.
Become a leader in the industry with the ability to:
- Apply small business development and entrepreneurship concepts to the creation or management of an adventure tourism venture.
- Formalize operations processes in a sector that needs knowledgeable professionals to keep up with growth and demand.
- Lead and facilitate safe and enjoyable adventure tourism experiences.
- Communicate in a professional manner to relevant adventure tourism stakeholder groups.
- Critically discuss the role of public land agencies and their policies and relationships with adventure tourism operators.
- Be knowledgeable about the outdoor products industry.
Advance your career in the tourism industry
Tourism is one of the largest employers on the planet, and continues to experience steady growth. In its 2017 Global Economic Impact Report, the World Travel and Tourism Council reported that, "Over the next 10 years, the sector will support 23% of new jobs created."
If you're inspired by the outdoors and would like to align who you are with what you do, the tourism industry offers many options for advancement and career shifts. Through online coursework designed with input from industry experts, this certificate in travel and tourism will prepare you for management roles within these types of organizations:
- Outdoor guide service companies (kayaking, rafting, fishing, cycling, natural history, safari, tour leaders, climbing, mountaineering, skiing, outdoor education, trip leaders, wilderness specialists, etc.)
- International tour operators
- Outdoor equipment and product companies
- City/municipality recreation departments
- Adventure tour operators (diving, eco-tours, heli-ski, bicycling)
- Accommodation operations (huts, hostels, camping, eco-lodges)
- Travel and transportation (helicopter, trekking, motorcycle, rafting)
- Equipment suppliers (manufacturers, retailers)
- Media (guide books, travel writers, specialist magazines, television)
- Travel agents (specializing in adventure travel packages)
- Destinations (attractions, services)
- Venues (climbing gyms, ropes courses, flying clubs, diving centers)
Apply credits toward your Master of Tourism Management degree
The adventure tourism certificate offered online is a companion to the Master of Tourism Management (M.T.M.) degree. Three courses, up to six credits, earned through the certificate can be applied toward the degree as directed electives (NRRT 655 and any other two adventure tourism courses). View the certificate curriculum for more information. Credits can transfer into the master’s program (with a grade of B or better) after formal admission per University transfer policies. However, successful completion of the courses or certificate does not guarantee admission to the degree program.