Earn your mediation certificate online
This online mediation training, offered by CSU's School of Social Work, helps you develop conflict resolution skills that can benefit you in a wide variety of professional and personal situations. It can add to your credibility as a professional mediator, if that is your end goal, but it can also give you skills to better handle everyday situations accompanied by tension, stress, and confrontation.
Some of the ways this certificate can benefit your professional expertise include:
- In a teaching profession, you will be better able to respond to conflict situations involving your students, their families, and other staff.
- In a therapy or counseling position, these skills will help you better understand the root of conflict between clients, and help them work toward a resolution.
- In a managerial position, you will be better equipped to help employees resolve conflicts over such things as projects or budgets.
- And of course, as a professional mediator providing services such as those to divorcing couples, you will be able to help families work together to create a written plan for moving forward.
Your personal life may also benefit in numerous ways, including:
- As a family member, this mediation certificate can make you an effective participant in decisions made for aging loved ones.
- As a parent, you will understand how to give your children more responsibility in resolving conflicts among themselves.
- As a fellow community member, you will be able to step in during disagreements on issues like property line responsibilities, helping others better understand each other's underlying interests to reach an amicable solution.
Develop strengths-based tools
This online conflict resolution training uses an approach that teaches you how to focus on clients' strengths rather than deficits, and how those strengths can be used to move toward a resolution. The challenging, practice-based curriculum focuses on this facilitative process throughout the program.
Upon completion of the program, you will have a better understanding of:
- The formal process of mediation as a specific method of conflict resolution, including the specific steps needed to come to a formal, written resolution.
- The process of mediation as a facilitator, allowing those involved in the conflict to shape the solution, rather than assigning one as an arbitrator.
- Fundamental communication skills especially important in conflict management, such as listening, checking for accuracy in what you heard, asking open-ended questions, reflecting, and hearing wholly and empathetically.
- Key negotiation, problem-solving, and conflict resolution skills that are transferable to a variety of fields, and can help you in nearly any career.
The program curriculum provides 40 hours of foundational material recommended by many mediation organizations, including the Mediation Association of Colorado.
Become a valuable asset to any team
Due to the nature of interpersonal human relationships, the need for conflict resolution skills can arise in any situation, and this online mediation training can benefit professionals in a variety of settings, including:
- Social work
- Family therapy
- Public service
- Human resources
- Law enforcement
- Faith-based organizations
- Student affairs and higher education
- Crisis management
- Natural resources
- Victim advocacy
- Mental health
- Hospitals and healthcare
- Community development
Visit Conflict Resolution and Mediation FAQ for answers to commonly asked questions about the program and the mediation field.