Online adult education certificate for instructors of adult learners
Colorado State University's online Graduate Certificate in Adult Basic Education provides training and personal development opportunities for those teaching, or wishing to teach, in adult basic education (ABE) programs. With a focus on foundational skills, methods, and theories for teaching adult learners, the online program seeks to develop educators who can create effective curriculum and learning environments for their students.
Students who may benefit from the program include:
- Those seeking ABEA certification through the state of Colorado.
- Those seeking positions, or who are currently in roles, as instructors or instructional designers.
Subjects and areas taught by adult educators may include:
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)
- Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL)
- GED preparation
- Adult Basic Education (ABE) curriculum
- Workforce development
What is adult basic education?
The field of adult basic education and training serves adults and youth (age 16 or older) who are not enrolled in school. ABE programs aim to improve basic skills in reading, writing, math, and speaking. They are typically offered through community colleges, nonprofit organizations, or city departments such as libraries. These services are important because they can help shape one’s identity through the development of life skills. Competency in these areas can be critical to improving individual economic stability as well as critical thinking, decision making, and social skills.
Prepare for your ABEA in Colorado
CSU's School of Education is pleased to partner with the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to offer every course you need to fulfill the Adult Basic Education Authorization (ABEA) educational requirement. The ABEA represents foundational knowledge in adult education and is issued by Educator Licensing at the CDE. By gaining your Adult Basic Education Authorization, you successfully demonstrate your knowledge and competence in the field of adult basic education and family literacy. Review the curriculum to see how to fulfill requirements.
Learn how to effectively teach and facilitate learning for adults
The online adult basic education certificate is taught by instructors who bring contemporary academic research and years of experience to your online classes and teach you the latest in instructional design, assessment, and evaluation. You will:
- Learn new techniques, tools, and processes for teaching and facilitating.
- Be encouraged to directly apply what you are learning to your professional settings.
- Understand how to better design learning settings to meet your learner's needs.
- Become a better practitioner of adult teaching and learning.
- Describe and evaluate different concepts of adult learning.
- Identify and articulate what makes an effective adult learning facilitator.
- Learn how to create an inclusive, challenging, and effective learning environment.
- Analyze and evaluate methods of instruction.
- Gain knowledge and skills specifically applicable to your teaching environment and learners.