Conflict Resolution for College Students
Module 1: Introduction to conflict
- Identify conflict as an opportunity for change and growth.
- Recognize benefits of communication when in conflict.
- Determine common escalation points during interpersonal conflict.
Module 2: Conflict styles
- Distinguish personal conflict and communication styles.
- Explore various conflict styles and identify when each is constructive and destructive.
- Evaluate opposing communication styles.
Module 3: Framing the conflict
- Identify the difference between a demand and a need.
- Test expressing their perspective through interests/needs.
- Explore intent vs impact.
Module 4: Managing conflict
- Identify common constructive and destructive responses to interpersonal conflict.
- Analyze personal conflict behaviors to determine areas of strength and for growth.
Module 5: Effective communication strategies
- Acquire non-violent communication skills.
- Practice listening for underlying interests and re-framing statements.
- Identify productive request communication.
Module 6: CSU resources
- Recognize common conflict areas at CSU.
- Identify resources available to students for various issues.
- Identify common appeal procedures.
- Discover SRC’s role in helping resolve conflicts.