Online statistics certificate for professionals in any industry
Statisticians have their pick of compelling problems and fields to work in. Are you interested in climate change? Or wild animal populations? Or do you prefer to use your expertise to help resolve human health issues? Whether you already work with data and would like to advance in your career, or if you are seeking to gain the know-how and credentials to break into a new area, earning the Graduate Certificate in Theory and Applications of Regression Models can help you get there.
Use regression models to spot trends
Regression analysis estimates the relationship between variables and is widely used for prediction and forecasting. This graduate certificate in statistics covers applications of multiple regression and generalized regression models, as well as a theoretical background for these topics. The focus is on understanding patterns and structure in data, and the explanation and presentation of findings.
Real-world examples of statistical or regression modeling at work
- Natural resource and science professionals often collect data in the field and use statistical modeling to extract results. Marine biologists studying whales along the Pacific coast can use regression modeling to estimate size (body weight) of whales, based on other variables that are easier to measure (such as body length).
- Statistical modeling is used in climate and weather studies. When we see a weather forecast, the temperatures and likely precipitation for the coming week is predicted by past data applied to a statistical model.
- Financial market predictions and evaluations use regression models to calculate risk, value assets, and analyze trends in the stock market.
- The health industry relies on modeling on every level, from research (such as modeling of spliced genes) to communicating findings that affect the public’s health.
- Organizations and companies often need to project the likely success or failure of complex systems before expending resources. Modeling can help predict outcomes that could otherwise prove costly.
- In any industry or field, advanced applications of regression modeling include designing studies, analyzing data, interpreting results of the analysis and communicating those results to constituencies. This allows investigators to make educated decisions based on reliable predictive models.
Who can benefit from learning regression modeling?
Advance in your career with top-of-the-industry data modeling skills. This online statistics certificate is geared toward data analysts and professionals in diverse fields, as well as graduate students, who have a strong math background and a desire to improve their computational and statistical abilities. The modeling skills gained in this program are used in environmental and agricultural statistics, social sciences, engineering, business, health, finance, and many other fields. Improve your analytical skills and be better equipped to:
- Analyze data effectively
- Interpret results
- Explain findings of statistical analyses
Learn to find patterns in data using computer simulation and programming
Students in this program will gain an understanding and background in probability and mathematical statistics, followed by coursework in applied regression and generalized regression models.
This graduate certificate in statistics builds applicable skills and incorporates hands-on learning by teaching computer programming in every course. Computer simulation is used to teach probability and math statistics so students can work through the application of a theory and make it practice-based. The name of the programming software used is “R” (also R Studio), a standard tool in many industries.
In addition to learning the latest theory and methodology in the industry, you will:
- Gain R programming skills.
- Sharpen your data analysis skills – by performing data analysis using real data and working with data that is not “neat.”
- Sharpen your modeling skills – by performing regression analyses and categorical data analysis.
- Improve your quantitative reasoning skills.
- Work with case studies to learn what you can and can’t do (some are students’ own studies that they bring to faculty for use in class).
- Learn about modern techniques in regression and modeling.
- Learn multivariate analysis techniques (available in an elective course).
- Gain a broader knowledgebase with courses that are 1-2 credits each, allowing you to study more topics while earning your online certificate.
- Get a head start by being exposed to the many types of problems you’ll encounter in industry and develop your base knowledge for how to face these problems, where to start, and how to troubleshoot solutions.
Study with expert faculty creating innovative techniques for analyzing data
CSU’s statistics faculty have strong research and consulting backgrounds. They encounter real world problems often and bring those experiences into the courses you will take to earn the Graduate Certificate in Theory and Applications of Regression Models.
Courses are taught by faculty who present at conferences and consult privately, outside the university. While problem-solving modern challenges, faculty often create new methods for analyzing data, which keeps students ahead of the latest trends and techniques.
Join a collaborative community of online students
Students who complete the statistics certificate online receive the same high-quality education and credentials as students on campus.
Online students have the added benefit of a flexible schedule that allows you to:
- Watch courses either synchronously or asynchronously. On campus courses are recorded live and online students can join in if they want. Later in the day, a link to the recording is shared.
- Work within the same discussion boards and on the same assignments together with on-campus students.
The Department of Statistics takes a “students first” approach to communication and makes every effort to work with students on their schedule to help solve roadblocks or problems.
Apply credits toward your Master of Applied Statistics degree
This online statistics certificate is a companion to the Master of Applied Statistics (MAS) degree. Ten credits can transfer into the MAS program (with a grade of B or better) and can be applied toward the degree after formal admission per University transfer policies. However, successful completion of the courses or certificate does not guarantee admission to the degree program.