Earn your school social work certificate
School Social Work is a specialized field of practice devoted to youth and families in educational environments. Social workers within school systems provide services to students to enhance their emotional wellbeing and improve their academic performance by using micro, mezzo, and macro practices. By earning this certificate, you will not only obtain the foundational credentials required by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) to be a special services provider (SSP) in the PreK-12 setting, but additional specialized coursework built into the program will boost your employment marketability.
You will finish this certificate poised as a strong competitor for school social work positions, exceptionally prepared to face the unique challenges of this environment with technical knowledge of policy and intervention.
What you will learn
Designed for those holding, or in the process of earning, a Master of Social Work, this is the only certificate in the state to offer a curriculum so specifically tailored to the needs of school social workers, covering topics like:
- Social work in schools, including the role and functions of social work in various and different practice settings while studying the history, legislation and general perspectives in school social work
- The complexities of the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) framework and other cultural, linguistic and trauma informed approaches
- The assessment process of Functional Behavior Assessment (FBA) and development of Behavior Intervention Plans (BIP)
- The complexities surround working with youth who have exceptionalities, including attitudes and perceptions, inclusive education, and identification, referral, assessment and service delivery within Special Education
- The fundamentals of conflict resolution and mediation and the core skills necessary to practice the stages of mediation
More details about the complete requirements set by the CDE to successfully obtain licensure can be found on the Requirements and Curriculum page.