You must be admitted to this program for the certificate to appear on your official University transcript.
Requirements to complete the PreK-12 School Social Worker Certificate:
- SOWK 560 – Social Work Practice in Schools (3 cr.)
This course will leave you with an understanding of the historical and cultural context of social work services in schools, state and federal legislation relating to education, terminology surrounding children with disabilities and their needs and rights, current issues, and more.
- SOWK 561 – Social Work and Serving Students with Disabilities (3 cr.)
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to discuss the personal and societal perceptions of people with disabilities; describe the different categories of disabilities; summarize key concepts, issues, and barriers associated with disabilities; explain advocacy and inclusion; define methods of augmentation and alternate communication technologies; analyze and apply community engagement intervention models to populations with disabilities; and more.
- SOWK 551 – Fundamentals of Mediation (3 cr.)
This course covers basic and advanced dispute resolution skills for a variety of conflict situations, mediation facilitation, conflict theories, power dynamics, discrimination, and more.
The School of Social Work at Colorado State University supports those holding or working toward a Master of Social Work wishing to work in a PreK-12 school setting by offering required coursework and this optional preK-12 school social worker certificate. Additionally, the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) requires social workers to obtain appropriate licensure before working in the PreK-12 school setting as a special services provider.
Educational requirements for licensure set by the CDE:
- An M.S.W from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (must provide transcripts)
- Minimum of 900 field education hours, a portion of which must have been working with school-aged children (ages 0-21). Advanced standing students must have completed a minimum of 900 field education hours between B.S.W. and M.S.W. field education. Otherwise, all field education hours must have been completed as part of an M.S.W. program.
- Field placements completed at any institution other than CSU must be officially verified by the field education director at such institution and include information verifying the student's practicum hours and work with school-aged children.
- SOWK 560: Social Work Practice in Schools
Those with unique situations that don't meet the educational requirements precisely should contact the certificate coordinator in the School of Social Work, Sarah Rudisill at email@example.com for more information.
Information about all the CDE licensure requirements, in addition to the educational requirements, can be found at www.cde.state.co.us/cdeprof. It is highly recommended that potential applicants create an account with CDE and view the entire application a few months prior to applying. Applications are deleted 90 days after registration if not complete and submitted by that time. To create an account, visit www.colorado.gov/cde/licensing/ and click "Register" at the top of the page. Please be aware that the application process is detailed and requires advanced planning to successfully complete within a certain time frame.