Civil Engineering Master of Engineering (M.E.) – Civil Engineering Specialization or Master of Science (M.S.) in Civil Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to write a thesis?

No. The Master of Engineering is a coursework-only (Plan C) degree, while the Master of Science program requires a project paper (Plan B).

Are scholarships available?

No, scholarships are not available, but financial aid is available.

How will this program help me find a new job?

Civil engineers with a focus on water resource management are needed in a global marketplace, though specific career opportunities depend on the desired region and job market. You are encouraged to ask instructors about prominent regions for degree application and salary ranges. Professors may be able to connect you to valuable career resources, including job opportunities with private organizations or public agencies.

What are typical assignments and how much time will I spend preparing outside of class?

For this online program you can expect a similar workload to a traditional on-campus program. You can expect to spend approximately nine to twelve hours per week preparing for each three-hour course.

I don't have a B.S. in engineering, but I think I might still qualify. Should I apply?

A B.S. in engineering is not required for the M.E. or M.S. degrees, however certain prerequisite coursework is required. For detailed information visit the Application Requirements - Non-B.S.E. Students page.

What is the difference between the M.E. and M.S. degree programs?

The Master of Engineering (M.E.) is a 30-credit, coursework-only degree—meaning a thesis is not required. It's designed for working professionals who want to get a master’s or need further coursework in a more specialized area. It is not intended for students who wish to pursue a Ph.D. later. Upon graduation, you are awarded a Master of Engineering, and this is what your diploma will reflect. Your transcripts will include the civil engineering specialization.

The Master of Science (M.S.) requires 30 credits of coursework, plus a 2-credit independent study where students complete an engineering report, for 32 credits total. As part of the report, students are assigned to a temporary committee and later have the opportunity to form one of their choosing that includes an advisor, a civil and environmental engineering faculty member, and a faculty outside of the department. Your committee will serve as support through your coursework, leading up to the oral defense of your engineering report. The defense may be required to be conducted on campus. Upon graduation from this option, you are awarded a Master of Science in Civil Engineering which your diploma will reflect.

What Next?

  • Discover why more than 10,000 students each year choose to advance their education online with Colorado State University.