Science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) industries require effective communication to progress and advance. Yet, communication in science differs from other areas of business in the use of highly technical language and complex scientific concepts. STEM communications must be made understandable in multilevel environments for both oral delivery and written expression.
Through this course, you will work directly with experts in science communication to build and refine critical professional skills to improve your communication in the workplace, including interactive feedback on projects and coursework. Gain professional skills such as:
• writing proposals,
• composing and writing presentations,
• adapting content to varied audiences and contexts,
• utilizing personal branding techniques, and
• using structural features of writing and public speaking to connect with other professionals.
Courses are designed to improve communication skills for engineers and science professionals.
You will learn to:
• Identify audience and context for more effective communication.
• Summarize content and respond in discussion forums and other methods.
• Write personal statements and proposals for improved self-branding techniques.
• Write and present posters for STEM professional settings.
• Prepare and give oral presentations.
• Present informal talks to various professional audiences.
• Leverage different forms of communication to further develop your professional voice.
To register for this course with 1 academic credit,
Noncredit courses do not produce academic credit nor appear on a Colorado State University academic transcript.
Earn a digital badge
In addition to gaining valuable skills, when you successfully complete this course, you can earn a digital badge to share among your professional and personal network. Display it on your resume, online portfolio, website, and social media pages to demonstrate your knowledge and skills. Learn more about digital badges.
A credit version of this course is also available. For more information, please visit the GRAD 550 course page.
Textbooks and Materials
All materials are supplied within the online course.