Theory and practice of scenario planning. Application of scenario planning in organizations.
EDOD 761 (Evaluation and Assessment of Interventions); EDOD 769 (Theory and Practice of Change).
Textbook and Materials
Textbooks and materials can be purchased at the CSU Bookstore unless otherwise indicated.
- Scenario planning in organizations: How to create, use, and assess scenarios. (2011)
- Scenarios: The Art of strategic conversation (2007)
Van der Heijden, K.
- Strategy safari: A guided tour through the wilds of strategic management. (2005)
Mintzberg, H., Ahlstrand, B.W., & Lampel, J.
- The age of heretics: A history of the radical thinkers who reinvented corporate management., 2nd Ed. (2008)
- The art of the long view. (1991)
Schwartz, P. (New York: Doubleday)
Thomas J. Chermack is an Assistant Professor at Colorado State University in the Organizational Performance and Change program.
Chermack worked as a consultant with Personnel Decisions International for eight years leading efforts in training, change management initiatives, organization development interventions and high performance work team initiations. During this time he also began his path into academics. Chermack's research focuses on the process and products of scenario planning (an alternative to traditional strategic planning). This unique approach to planning was born at Royal Dutch / Shell Oil and is largely credited with the ability to anticipate and navigate fundamental market changes and shifts.
He has authored over 50 research reports, and his research has appeared in scholarly publications such as Futures, Futures Research Quarterly, Human Resource Development Review, The Academy of Strategic Management Journal, and the Journal of Leadership and Organizational Studies among others.