Earn a military land management certificate online
Enroll in one of the few online certificate programs in the country of its kind to learn the breadth and complexity of military land resource management. The Graduate Certificate in Sustainable Military Lands Management (SMLM) was designed for both civilian and military land management professionals. Gain the knowledge and skills to work with the rapidly evolving practices, technologies, and analytical tools necessary to support conservation and sustainable management of natural and cultural resources on Department of Defense lands.
Why study military land resource management?
The demand for highly skilled and educated environmental professionals to manage military lands is rapidly increasing. Military lands are critical assets for training and testing exercises, but they also contain diverse and often rare natural and cultural resources that must be protected. Managing and sustaining these lands requires knowledge of ecological concepts and new technical and communication skills in a wide range of natural and cultural resource areas.
In this program you will:
- Gain an overview of military lands in the United States in historical, geographical, and environmental contexts.
- Learn general practices and theory of land management and cultural anthropology.
- Study the ecological principles of military training and testing, and learn about the disturbances caused by these activities.
- Explore cultural resource laws, policies, management, and preservation as they apply to military lands.
- Prepare to lead stewardship-related matters on military lands.
Gain knowledge and credentials for career trajectory
Earning your military land management certificate online can lead to job opportunities and career advancement in a wide array of federal and state land resource management agencies. The skills and credits you earn can help you gain entry into the field, or get promoted within an agency with which you already work.
Study on a flexible schedule
Courses for this program are delivered online and are available worldwide to anyone with access to the Internet. The online format allows you to participate in class discussions and assignments when it's convenient for your schedule. Canvas, CSU's online learning platform, provides user-friendly access to course materials, discussion groups, assignments, exams, chat, and other learner services.
Although this online certificate program offers flexibility, it still requires the same amount of work and time as an on-campus program. It is recommended to spend nine to twelve hours per week on a three credit course, on activities such as:
- Downloading and reviewing instructor notes
- Completing assigned and optional readings
- Communicating with instructors and students via blogs, threaded discussions, and email
- Completing individual or group projects
- Studying for exams
- Taking exams
- Writing course-related papers