Students will learn how to apply skills and theory from their Liberal Arts degrees to the search for meaningful work, research the job market, and begin building professional networks.
- Will explore the mixed messages students receive about Liberal Arts degrees;
- Examine the current job market, trends in hiring, and types of jobs available;
- Consider different motivations for working and the type of work environment that would be most fulfilling;
- Enable students to research specific industries of interest and begin networking within those industries.
Upon completion of this course, students will:
Please note that this course uses the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading option instead of traditional grading.
- relate the skills and experiences they gained in college to the exigencies of the job market;
- have completed some concrete steps toward landing a job, including completing their resumes, consulting with a career counselor, and conducting an informational interview.
Completion of AUCC Category 2.
Students wishing to take this course may need to get an override from the instructor in order to register. Please contact the instructor of the section you are interested in taking and they will be happy to assist you with the needed override.
Textbooks and Materials
Please contact instructor for textbook requirements.
Sarah Wernsing has a B.A. in English and an M.A. in English Literature. She has taught composition at the University of Northern Colorado and Front Range Community College and is currently an advisor for English and Economics students for the College of Liberal Arts at Colorado State University, where she helps students transition to the university and get the most out of their education. Sarah is also passionate about helping students prepare for their next steps after graduation. Prior to working in higher education, Sarah has taught English overseas, worked in a bookstore, directed a youth and children’s program, and worked in customer service.
When she is not at work, she enjoys spending time outdoors with her family, cooking, eating chocolate, and writing.