This course covers the theory and technique of editing videos in a corporate setting. Video editing is the process of storytelling by combining video, audio, and graphic elements into a coherent whole. The best editing is invisible; when it is done well, it is hardly noticed. Editing is about storytelling. While the class does train you to use Adobe Premiere Pro, you will be able to use the skills learned in this class on any professional editing software. We provide all of the raw footage for your editing assignments, but you have the choice to shoot your own footage towards the end.
By the end of this course, you will learn:
• How to work with corporate clients in planning and making decisions about an editing project
• How to make awesome videos including: promos, ads, educational videos, PR pieces, short films, and more
• The importance of planning before sitting down at a computer
• The importance of storytelling in editing - Editing is storytelling
• How to tell a compelling visual story using a combination of video, text, soundbites & music.
• Basic principles of picture composition
• The importance of aesthetics
• The importance of ethical editing
Textbooks and Materials
• All students are given access to Linked-In Learning content that is required for the course. This is paid for by your student fees, so do not pay for Linked-In Learning.
• Adobe Premiere Pro Access: This is the editing software for this course and you need to purchase this for your computer or at least have access to a computer with it on. You may just want to get the whole creative suite if you are very interested in video editing - all the software work really nicely together and Photoshop, Audition, and Encoder come in handy. Make sure your computer is powerful enough to handle the software! Read the minimum specs so it doesn't crash your computer and make you sad. The whole suite is actually slightly cheaper than just Premiere for students, however you have to commit for a year.
o Recommended - Entire suite including Premiere: $19.99 per month for students, annual commitment
o Premiere Pro Only - $31.49 per month, no commitment
o Premiere Pro Only - $20.99 per month, annual commitment (Don't do this option! Just get the whole suite if you plan to commit for a year anyway)
• Hard drive: If you are using a personal computer, you technically don’t need this if you have sufficient built in storage, but I still highly recommend it. If you are using a computer on campus, you need it. Even on your personal computer, you will likely slow down your computer with all the files. I recommend a 1TB at least.
• No required textbook
Contact Jesse via email with any additional questions.
Hello! I will be your instructor for this class. I’m an instructor at Colorado State University by day and an active video producer by night and am currently working on a couple documentaries for RMPBS. I received my master's in Public Communication and Technology from this department at CSU. I also teach the on-campus version of this class, the grad version of this class, as well as JTC 211 - Visual Communication. My professional experience is in marketing, video production, and news, among other communications related positions. I am actually from South Africa, but have been teaching at CSU for 4 plus years now. I look forward to getting to e-know you in the class!