lStudents learn a variety of analytic tools designed to help them evaluate, align, select, and implement emerging fire-science technologies.
The purpose of this course is to expose fire science students to a variety of emerging technologies related to their field of study. Each student is given the opportunity to explore a specific technology. This approach is designed to provide each student with a technical overview and an area of specific specialization (this specialization is typically in a technology area designated by their department).
In addition, students are given an introduction to techniques for evaluating (benchmarking) and diffusing technology. These management practices allow students to evaluate, align, and implement a selected technology. Management strategies include how to effectively impact the change process associated with any technical innovation.
Upon completion of the course students are able to:
- Define and identify emerging/leading technologies in the area of fire science
- Understand the benchmarking process for evaluating current and future direction
- Understand principles of change management in order to diffuse innovative technologies
- Develop a strategy for implementing new technologies within an organization
- Explore and understand a variety of fire science technologies
This course can be applied toward: