Ignite your practice with Dalcroze training
Capture the pulse of modern music pedagogy and discover how to bring your classroom to life with a sense of play. This progressive, student-centered Dalcroze-based eurhythmics course gives you the skills to infuse your practice with dynamic purposeful education.
While a variety of perspectives on the Dalcroze method of music education are presented, a focus is given to the following areas to unlock creativity, nurture imagination, and open doors to enriched musical experiences:
- Eurhythmics – train the body in beat, rhythm, meter, phrase, form, nuance, affect, aesthetics, and Plastique Animée;
- Solfège – train the ear, eye, and voice in pitch, melody, and harmony;
- Improvisation – bring all elements together according to the student's own interpretation, including movement, voice, and instrument;
- Pedagogy – learn techniques that enable you to adapt what you have learned to your own work;
- Teaching lab with children – gain hands-on experience teaching leading children in Dalcroze activities.
Designed for music educators of all varieties
The Dalcroze eurhythmics training course is on the cutting edge of music education, and as such, designed for those looking to break the mold – teachers and beyond – including:
- College professors and graduate students looking for a more embodied approach.
- K-12 classroom music teachers.
- Those interested in starting their own music programs or businesses.
- Performing musicians of all ages and abilities.
- Music educators, dance educators, and other music education specialists.
- Music therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and recreational therapists.
- Students currently studying music performance, music therapy, music education, or dance.
Learn to adapt to face challenges
Course content is specifically geared to challenges faced by classroom music teachers, among them:
- Oversized/large classes;
- Classroom spaces that are not optimal;
- Sparse/varying weekly instructional time;
- Special needs learners;
- Differentiating instruction;
- ESL learners;
- Grade-level programs;
- Lack of instruments/materials;
- Interdisciplinary curriculum planning;
- Collaboration with classroom teachers;
- Fostering parent involvement;
- Advocating within public school community.
Access state-of-the-art facilities on campus
The Dalcroze training is delivered in the inspiring setting of the Rocky Mountain foothills, on campus at Colorado State University in Fort Collins, Colorado. Here students have access to state-of-the-art facilities for music and movement, including:
- Two full size professional dance studios;
- The University dance theater, complete with Marley floor, stage lights (for Plastique Animée), and sound;
- Runyan Choral Hall;
- A 4,800 square foot Instrumental Rehearsal Hall with wooden floors;
- Program rooms equipped with SMART board technology;
- Piano labs;
- An extensive Dalcroze library;
- More than 40 practice rooms.
Meal and lodging coordination is available for those travelling, a service not available through many other programs.
You have the option of completing this program for personal enrichment, or to enroll in the academic three-credit course to receive transcript credit for the Dalcroze-based eurhythmics course.