As a student in CSU’s distance social work master’s program, you will receive a degree from a regionally accredited, renowned research institution while taking courses at times and locations that fit your busy life. Additionally, you can expect:
- Training in Advanced Generalist Practice: Our program’s coursework focuses on preparing social work practitioners for professional and ethical practice as advanced generalists. Through foundational-level generalist social work and advanced generalist social work practice, you’ll be able to take a multimethod approach to supporting social justice and promoting the well-being of individuals, families, groups, and communities in complex, diverse, and dynamic settings.
- Field Experience Opportunities: Through two* required field placements, totaling 945 hours, you’ll apply the knowledge, values, and skills within the advanced generalist practice framework in a social work agency setting.
- A Hybrid Delivery Format: While the majority of instruction is delivered in the online classroom, you are required to attend a weekend class twice each semester at your cohort’s location in Denver or Boulder. The in-person instruction component is vital in earning a social work degree as it allows you to practice the skills of client-centered interventions with faculty and peers through role play and hands-on activities.
- A Degree with Broad Applicability: Our advanced generalist curriculum prepares you with the knowledge and skills that apply to a wide variety of social work careers, including roles like clinician, case manager, policy analyst, social planner, foster care worker, counselor, resource coordinator, and more.
- Education that Helps You Help Others: Make a difference in the lives of people of all ages by using evidence-based knowledge to advocate for the welfare and empowerment of under-represented and disadvantaged peoples and communities.
- A Cohort Model: Since the same group of students goes through the program together, this offers a cohesive support structure and built-in professional network.
- Optional Certificates that Provide Specialized Knowledge: You can further specialize by pursuing an Advanced Clinical Behavioral Health or PreK-12 School Social Worker graduate certificate, while simultaneously earning your Master of Social Work. Build your unique skills by selecting applicable elective coursework from your degree curriculum to earn your certificate.
*Advanced Standing students are only required to complete one field placement.
Learn more about CSU's rankings and accolades.