Extension Education Master of Extension Education (M.Ext.Ed.)

Requirements and Curriculum


Earn your Master of Extension Education by pursuing Plan C that requires coursework only and should be considered a terminal degree. You will work with your graduate advisor to choose your coursework.

  • Minimum of 36 course credits.
  • 24 credits must be earned at Colorado State University, 21 of which must be earned after formal admission.
  • 21 credits must be 500-level and above in the area of study approved by student graduate advisor.
  • 13-14 credits of graduate-level electives.
  • 10 credits of upper-division Agriculture (AGRI) coursework.
  • With approval by a student graduate advisor, 0-6 undergraduate credits at the 400 level may apply toward this degree.
  • No credits less than 400-level accepted.
  • No independent study, research, supervised college teaching, or practicum credits may apply toward the degree.
  • An extension education internship is required in a county or state Extension office or other advisor-approved setting. An internship requires 45 hours of work per credit.

Courses that are prerequisites or supplementary to the graduate program do not apply to the minimum credit hours required for this degree. In addition, approved courses from other institutions may be accepted; talk with your advisor before including these in your course plan. Additional coursework may be required depending on your background and preparation for graduate level work.


With the guidance of an advisor, you select the sequence and combination of courses that best meet your educational and professional goals. This interdisciplinary graduate program offers flexibility and a broad area of study.

Required courses

Additional required courses (select at least six credits)

Select a minimum of six credits of courses at the 500-level or above with approval by a graduate advisor. Suggested courses include, but are not limited to:

Focus area electives (12 credits)

Depending on your interests, you might select elective courses in Community Development, 4-H/Youth, Agricultural Communications, or Environmental Education. You must complete 12 credits in one of these focus areas. Credits taken to satisfy the additional required courses cannot also be used to satisfy the focus area elective credits.

Community development
Agricultural communications
Environmental education

What Next?

  • Learn more about being a student in this program, including information about course structure, assignments, time commitments, and interaction with peers and faculty.