Adult Education and Training Master of Education (M.Ed.) in Education and Human Resource Studies – Adult Education and Training Specialization

Frequently Asked Questions

What is adult education?

Adult education is a field focused on helping adults learn. Because adults typically learn differently and for different reasons, in comparison to children, adult educators can benefit from studying adult learning theory, methods, and instructional design.

How can I become an adult educator?

Earning a master’s degree in Adult Education and Training (or a similar program) is an excellent way to learn the skills needed to succeed as an adult educator. This program is most valuable when combined with actual teaching and/or training experience, either through a current job, internship, or volunteer position. But, those wishing to become adult educators can also benefit from this degree.

What are some adult education jobs?

Careers in adult education include: adult basic education professionals, corporate/workplace training specialists, English as a Second Language (ESL) instructors, instructional designers, health education specialists, outdoor education specialists, and other fields focused on adult learning.

Is there out-of-state tuition or an out-of-state fee for this program?

No. Tuition for CSU’s online programs is the same for both in-state and out-of-state students.

What are the additional fees?

Aside from tuition, the only additional fee is a $32 per semester technology fee. The cost of books must also be covered by the student.

Is the curriculum flexible?

Students must complete 30 total credits to earn this degree, including 21 required credits and 9 elective credits. At least 24 credits must be earned from Colorado State University. Students may choose to take one or two courses per semester and courses are offered during the fall, spring, and summer terms.

What topics are covered in the coursework?

The curriculum is focused on three main areas: adult education teaching processes and methods, adult education learning and development theory, and instructional design. Students are also able to focus on an additional area(s) of interest through three elective courses.

Can I focus on my area of interest during the coursework?

Yes, the curriculum is designed to support a wide variety of adult education contexts. Students all learn the underlying processes, theories, and design related to adult learning. Then, through projects and assignments, students are able to take that foundational information and apply it to their specific contexts and areas of interest within adult education.

Am I required to be on campus or attend any courses in real-time?

All courses are held asynchronously at a distance. While students are expected to be active and engaged throughout each week of class, there is no set time they need to be available to attend class. Participation occurs on the student’s schedule.

How much time can I expect to spend working on a class?

On average, as with any graduate level course, learners should expect to work 9-12 hours per week, per 3 credit class. This includes time for reading, discussion participation, assignments, and any other course related activities. Fall and spring semesters are 16 weeks in length. Summer courses may be shorter in length and the time commitment per week will be higher. The majority of students work full or part time and engage in other life commitments while taking either one or two courses per semester.

Is financial aid available?

Yes. To be eligible for financial aid, students must be enrolled in the program and taking at least 5 credits per semester. Contact the CSU Financial Aid Office for more details.

Can I take courses before applying to the program?

Yes. The department allows students to take up to three courses (9 credits) in the program before officially enrolling. As long as you are accepted into the program, all 9 credits will transfer in.

Do you need all of my transcripts, or just the transcripts from the school that awarded my bachelor’s degree?

The CSU admissions department typically requires all official transcripts directly from every institution you have attended, even if you transferred those credits in the past.

My undergraduate GPA was below a 3.0. Can I still apply?

Yes, you are welcome to apply. Applicants should speak with an AET faculty member to discuss options to be considered for admission ( or (970) 491-6499).

What should on focus on when writing my Statement of Purpose for the application?

The Statement of Purpose serves as an academic writing sample for the faculty to determine your readiness for graduate level writing, learn more about you, and ascertain how your goals align with the AET program. This is an important piece used by the faculty to determine admission recommendations.

Is there another option in addition to a master’s degree?

Yes, there are two 12-credit graduate certificates offered through the Adult Education and Training program. One is designed for adult educators working in adult basic education/ESL and the other is designed for practitioners in any related area of education or training designed for adult learners.

I live in or near Ft. Collins. Can I take courses on campus?

Yes, the AET degree is also offered on-campus. For additional details, please visit the School of Education website.

I have additional questions. Can I speak to a faculty member?

Absolutely. The AET faculty are happy to share information about the program and answer questions you may have. You may contact them at or (970) 491-6499

What Next?

  • Learn more about being a student in this program, including information about course structure, assignments, time commitments, and interaction with peers and faculty.

- Footer - Landing