Three CSU students and a dog sit on a rock overlooking Horsetooth Lake, with a text overlay that says 'Welcome New Students!'

General Information

Certificate Requirements

A Certificate of Completion will be issued by CSU Online when all courses have been completed with a passing grade.

  • For undergraduate students, a passing grade is equivalent to a D or better.
  • For graduate students, a passing grade is equivalent to a C or better.

You must enroll for no less than 50% of the specified curriculum courses through CSU Online. Some certificates may have requirements that supersede or are in addition to this enrollment requirement.

All university holds must be cleared prior to receiving the earned certificate of completion.

Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

For certain noncredit courses CEUs or Professional Development Units (PDUs) are awarded for participation. Each CEU represents 10 hours of instruction; a PDU represents one hour of instruction. These units are respected in many industries as proof of commitment to continuous learning and accepted for recertification requirements as a measure of in-service activities in professional fields.

CEUs and PDUs do not, however, count toward a degree nor are they recorded on an official transcript.


The Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Educational Support (DANTES) is for military personnel on active duty. Colorado State University courses are approved for the DANTES program. Eligible military personnel should contact their Education Officer for additional information and applications.

Discount Disclaimer

Discounts may be available for courses offered through CSU Online. Discounts redeemed through the use of discount codes are available for a limited time and are subject to expiration. Only one discount may be applied to each course; if multiple discounts are available, the maximum discount will be applied. Discounts must be redeemed by the student at the time of registration; discounts will not be applied retroactively. Discounts apply to tuition only and are non-transferable.


These courses are not usually delivered by distance media; they are driven by an agreement between the instructor and the student. Typical examples are thesis, research, internship, and other courses where the objectives and activities are determined jointly by the instructor and the student. In most cases, the agreement on course activities and objectives is reached with the student and advisor or instructor before enrollment in the course. During the course, the instructor and student communicate by any convenient means, usually phone and email.

Open Entry

Some distance courses are termed "open entry" courses and provide you with a window of time to complete the course. These courses are open to registration year-round and you do not have to be admitted to register or receive academic credit for these courses.

Open entry credit courses require you to complete the course within six months of the day of enrollment. On the day you are registered, the enrollment is placed on your University transcript. If your coursework is not finished by the end of the semester, an "Incomplete" ("I") is posted. Upon course completion your earned grade is recorded. Failure to complete a course or withdraw in writing results in an "F" grade on your transcript.

Enrollment in Open Entry courses does not meet the Continuous Registration requirement for terms after the original term of enrollment. For example, a late spring enrollment in an Open Entry course appearing on a transcript as a spring enrollment does not provide continuous registration for fall term of that year, even if the coursework is completed during the fall term.

Early Completion

Distance and online education courses carry the same credits as regular on-campus courses; therefore, the same amount of time and effort is required to achieve a satisfactory grade. You may complete the course before the given deadline. The minimum suggested time for course completion of an academic open entry course is eight weeks from the date of enrollment; noncredit courses vary. This is sufficient time only if you can work very quickly and if there is no delay in getting graded materials back from your instructor. Since instructor commitments include on-campus and distance learning courses, there is no guarantee of early completion.


Students enrolled in open-entry courses may have the option to apply for one six-month extension per course. Extensions are granted by CSU Online by submitting a Request for Extension Form. Open entry courses conducted online may be eligible for a course extension (with instructor permission).

Parking on Campus

Find a campus map of parking on the University Parking Services website.

Before 4 p.m.

Students parking on campus 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Friday must purchase a parking permit, use meters, or park in the open parking areas.

After 4 p.m.

Students visiting campus after 4 p.m. Monday through Friday may park in designated "Z" parking zones or in metered spaces without charge. Some "A" zones are also available after this time; however, be watchful of posted areas where parking restrictions are enforced until later times. Lots "W", "Q" and "X" are residence hall lots and are not available for free parking until after 8 p.m.

For additional information, contact University Parking Services at (970) 491-7041.


You must pay the postage on all correspondence with our offices. We provide postage-paid reply envelopes for proctors when returning exams to be graded.

Tax Incentives

The 1997 Taxpayer Relief Act provides education tax incentives for U.S. citizens. Education tax incentives are available for adults who want to return to school and for parents who are sending or planning to send their children to school.

Education tax incentives include:

  • Hope Scholarship Tax Credit (this is not a University scholarship but a tax credit.)
  • Lifetime Learning Credit
  • Deductibility of Student Loan Interest
  • Education IRA Account
  • Employer-provided Educational Assistance

More information:

For credit students, 1098-T tax information and forms can be found under "Billing Information" in RAMweb.

Textbooks and Materials

The textbooks and materials that you will need for a course are listed with the course information. All textbooks and materials are considered to be required unless noted as being optional.

Unless otherwise indicated, it is the responsibility of the student to obtain the textbooks and additional materials. Required textbooks, videotapes, and study guides for credit and noncredit CSU Online courses are available through the University Bookstore.

- Footer - Landing