The course will provide practical knowledge and case studies that involve the management of media/ communication projects, creative teams (internal and external), unit and project budgets, external vendors/ contractors, and project production schedules in media-oriented organizations.
The purpose of the course is to equip students to become managers of communications programs, project or units within organizations – whether business, not-for-profit, government or media. Upon completion students should be able to:
• Recognize contemporary ideas in management that apply to their role as communications managers
• Describe the communication problems typically found in organizations and the diagnostic tools used to assess them
• Appreciate the role that communication should play in changing organizational cultures and in facilitating organizational innovation and change
• Be familiar with the fundamental issues in strategic planning and evaluation at corporate, business (brand, division, subsidiary) and departmental levels
Discuss the kinds of decisions typically confronted in managing communication programs, projects and departments
• Understand the optimal uses of traditional media and new communications technologies for improving organizational effectiveness
• Grasp the relationships between different organizational structures and communication management functions
• Demonstrate skills in preparing recommendation and proposal memorandum and preparing a professional resume and portfolio
• Leave with a professional career marketing plan
This course includes guest speakers, case studies, and group work through synchronous lectures on Zoom. Attendance is expected Wednesday evenings, 6:00 - 8:50 pm Mountain Time.
Jenny Fischer is an instructor in the JMC department and freelance graphic designer living, working and playing in Fort Collins. Her career spans media ranging from newspapers to high-end video production, and roles ranging from graphic designer to digital director. A proud Ram, she works with the Rocky Mountain Student Media Corp. on design-related projects whenever she can. Jenny also holds a master's degree in Journalism Innovation from the SI Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University.