This course focuses on strategies for successful grant applications. There is never a guarantee that every grant you write will be funded. But, you can increase your chances through clear and persuasive writing, adopting storytelling techniques, aligning your ideas and values to those of a funding agency, and understanding that grant writing is less about “how to write a grant” and more about “why am I writing this grant?”
However, grant revenues are not a quick solution for an organization’s budgetary woes nor is the process a low-maintenance revenue stream. Grant funds are slow funds that require the support of your entire nonprofit team. The successful pursuit of grant revenues depends on: research of grant opportunities, a clear understanding of the foundation you seek funds from, making sure your organization’s mission and purpose are aligned with the foundation’s, writing the grant with specificity to the foundation, and the follow-up once a grant decision is made.
Grant writing skills are also transferable to other types of writing. For example, successful writing of a grant application can help you write effective business proposals and organized project plans. And since leadership and management in the non-profit sector depend a great deal on good writing skills, this course is a great way to learn about grant writing, and improve your overall writing abilities.
1. Research grant opportunities.
2. Develop grant applications using research.
3. Translate mission, goals, and objectives into grant applications.
4. Identify various successful practices in grant writing.
5. Connect aspects of storytelling to grant writing.
6. State important ideas concisely.
7. Use effective and persuasive writing as a proposal tool.
8. Devise evaluation criteria for a funded project.
1. Write a basic grant application
2. Find information about grant opportunities
3. Use persuasive language
4. Connect funding needs to organizational mission
Noncredit courses do not produce academic credit nor appear on a Colorado State University academic transcript.
Textbooks and Materials
All materials are supplied within the online course.