Grow your abilities with a certified gardener mastery badge
Are you a green thumb? Happiest while knee-deep in dirt? Enjoy planting and watching things grow? Based on the Colorado Master GardenerSM curriculum, the CSU Extension Certified Gardener Mastery Badge Program is your opportunity to learn the latest gardening techniques and become an authority for sharing your gardening know-how.
Take online gardening classes anytime, anywhere
While the program is based on content similar to a traditional master gardener program, online courses give you more flexibility to learn only what you want to learn, on your own schedule. You have the option to take courses individually, register for a “bundle” of courses on related topics, or complete the full program and earn a mastery badge. No matter if you are a backyard gardener, interested in learning more about landscaping, pruning, and home composting, or are a green industry professional, these online gardening classes can be tailored to help you meet your goals.
By taking this program, you will be able to:
- Provide knowledge-based information to help gardeners protect and enhance their home landscape.
- Use gardening therapy as a tool to develop individuals, strengthen families, and build communities.
- Share ideas and build relationships with other students throughout the country in an online learning community.
- Illustrate your expertise and competencies through the use of digital badges.
Digital badges illustrate expertise
The CSU Extension Certified Gardener Program is one of the first programs at Colorado State University to award digital badges upon completion of noncredit courses. Once you earn them, you can share badges on your resume, website, e-portfolio, and on social media to illustrate for others the skills you have learned. Share them with potential employers, clients, and community members to show your expertise.
Different from the Colorado Master GardenerSM program
If you are familiar with the Colorado Master GardenerSM program, you may be wondering how the CSU Extension Certified Gardener badge program differs. First, and most importantly, the Certified Gardener badge program allows the University to offer Extension curriculum, a valuable state resource, as an affordable option to students by way of CSU Online. And, although based on the Colorado Master GardenerSM curriculum, this program is different in a few key areas:
- The certified gardener program does not have a required volunteer component.
- Because the certified gardener program is completely online, you are not bound by seasonality. Courses are offered at various times throughout the year, and you can register and take only those you want, when it fits your schedule.
- The certified gardener program offers courses in specific areas that may be taken individually or bundled in a group at a discounted rate. In contrast, the Colorado Master Gardener program covers all topic areas in a face-to-face format without the ability to register for only specific courses.
Learn more about the Colorado Master Gardener program and its benefits here »