CSU's online Master of Natural Sciences Education helps you build upon your knowledge of biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science, and develop creative teaching strategies so you can be a more effective science educator.
Your educational background and the pursuit of coursework beyond an undergraduate degree is important to school districts when they consider which teachers to retain, promote, and offer a pay increase. A master's degree is also a useful way to enhance your professional expertise by building on your prior teaching experience. Earn your education masters degree within a program created specifically for current and aspiring natural science teachers.
The Master of Natural Sciences Education (M.N.S.E.) is designed for:
- Current science teachers hoping to learn new pedagogical techniques that contribute to student learning and engagement
- Current science teachers who want the flexibility to teach other natural science disciplines by solidifying their knowledge in biology, chemistry, physics and environmental science
- Current non-science teachers with a natural science undergraduate degree who would like to pursue science teaching positions
- Current non-science teachers with a related undergraduate degree (computer science, agriculture, engineering) and a strong science background who would like to pursue science teaching positions
- Individuals with strong science backgrounds and past or current experience in educational settings who would like to earn a master's degree in science education and separately pursue a teaching certification
During this master's in science education program, you will:
- Expand your natural science knowledge in the areas of biology, chemistry, physics, and environmental science for use in middle and high school classrooms
- Immerse yourself in coursework related to curriculum development, instructional theory, and pedagogy
- Advance your instructional skills with coursework that explores classroom management, presentation skills, communication, and discipline
- Discover hands-on teaching tools and lesson enhancements that can be brought into the classroom immediately
- Use Science Lab Kits created specifically for individual courses within the program, then implement the experiments within your own classroom.
- Earn a master's in science education while living—and working—anywhere in the world
- Depending on the degree option you choose, enhance your research skills and understanding of the methodology scientists use or immerse yourself in the literature of your chosen natural sciences discipline.
Courses within the Master of Natural Sciences Education (M.N.S.E.) apply toward certification, licensure, and/or endorsements necessary to teach within every state in the United States. Review the certification requirements to teach secondary sciences within your state. Courses are also applicable to teach internationally in those countries that require certification.
Colorado State University graduates more individuals in STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) than any other Colorado campus, and prepares more STEM teachers than any other university in the state.