Business Intelligence (BI) enables an organization to take all its capabilities, convert them to knowledge, and get the right information to the right people, at the right time via the right channel. This produces large amounts of information that, when harnessed, can develop new opportunities for a company. Business Intelligence uses technologies, processes and application to analyze internal, structured data and business processes while competitive intelligence gathers, analyzes, and disseminates information. Business Intelligence supports better decision making and can be called a decision support system (DSS). Common functions of Business Intelligence are: reporting; data, text, and process mining; complex event processing; business performance management; benchmarking; and predictive and prescriptive analytics.
The Business Intelligence Certificate allows students to bring value to companies across many sectors that have vast quantities of both structured and unstructured data that requires identification, analysis, and transformation into useful data for business optimization, forecasting, and other business objectives. This certificate provides students with a unique skill set, a valuable credential, and immediate recognition in the IS/IT field. This particular area of information systems is highly sought by businesses in their new hires and existing IS personnel.
What you will learn in this certificate?
- Importance of data mining and its application in business
- Standardized data mining processes and specific methodologies like CRISP-DM and SEMMA
- Data mining methods and techniques for classification, segmentation, association, prediction, forecasting, and sequencing
- To build, run, and validate data mining tools and how to interpret the results
- The tools and processes for conducting text analytics
- How web content, structure, and logs can be mined for extracting useful information
- Knowledge of the emerging field of business intelligence (BI) including its capabilities, role in decision making, and vendors while gaining hands-on experience with some popular BI technologies and tools
- To design, implement, manipulate, and manage databases through a rigorous foundation in relational database management systems
This certificate can be a companion to the computer information systems master's degree. The credits completed as part of this certificate may be applied toward the degree after formal admission per University transfer policies with a grade of B or better in each course. However, successful completion of the courses or certificate does not guarantee admission to the degree program.
It is highly recommended that you complete a statistics tutorial before taking CIS 570 to ensure you have a rudimentary understanding of statistics. CIS 655 requires prior classes or experience in programming and programming logic.
Admission to the University is not required to earn the Certificate of Completion in Business Intelligence. You can register for any course in the certificate program in any order as there are no prerequisites. Prior CSU coursework can be applied toward this certificate, though transfer courses are not accepted.