Some online and distance courses require exams to be proctored. Depending on the course, exams can be either print-based or online.
What does a proctor do?
Proctors are individuals who administer the exam process following the guidelines provided by Colorado State University to ensure academic integrity.
Who can be my proctor?
- College or university testing centers
- Military educators
- Pastors or ministers
- Continuing education officers
- Certified school teachers
- School principals
We provide proctoring services at our offices at no extra cost. Contact us ahead of time to schedule an appointment. We are open:
- 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, open until 7 p.m. during midterm and finals weeks
- 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. the third Saturday of every month
While most proctors serve on a voluntary basis, you are responsible for any cost associated with using a proctor. Proctors cannot be co-workers or subordinates, family members, friends, tutors, personal advisors, or anyone with a potential conflict of interest. CSU reserves the right to verify a proctor's identity, require additional proof of eligibility, or require the selection of a different proctor.
Some courses use ProctorU, an online proctoring service that uses a webcam and microphone. Additional information about using ProctorU is provided by your instructor and is also available at the CSU ProctorU online proctoring center website. Costs for using ProctorU are included in your course tuition; additional costs for late scheduling may apply.
To find out if your course requires proctoring and the availability of ProctorU, review the course description on our website.
What do I need to do for my proctored exam?
- At the start of your course, select a proctor that is the most convenient for you.
- If required by the instructor, fill out the Proctor Agreement Form and submit prior to your first exam (even if being proctored on campus).
- If ProctorU is available for your course, review the system requirements documentation posted in your course to ensure you have adequate Internet connectivity and technologies, including a webcam and microphone, and prior to your first exam notify your instructor you will use ProctorU.
- Contact your proctor or ProctorU prior to your exam and schedule an appointment.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that your proctor receives the information prior to the exam appointment. Print-based exams or online exam passwords are sent directly to your proctor prior to the exam.
- Take the exam as scheduled. Your proctor will return the print-based exam.
How do I use online proctoring through ProctorU?
- Ensure you have the equipment necessary:
- A computer running Windows XP (or higher) or Mac OS X (or higher) with Adobe Flash and high-speed internet.
- A webcam, microphone, and either headphones or speakers connected to your computer.
For full system specifications, and to test your equipment, visit http://www.proctoru.com/colostate/techspecs.html.
- Schedule an appointment:
Appointments need to be made at least four days prior to your testing day at http://go.proctoru.com. Changes can be made at least two days prior to your reserved time.
- Take your exam:
You need to be alone in a well lit room. Once your exam is open, you will not be permitted to hold conversations of any kind until the exam has been submitted. Any unauthorized notes or other attempts to cheat will abort the test session and will be reported to your instructor.
Log in to http://go.proctoru.com and your proctor will help you complete these three steps:
- Connect your computer to your proctor’s computer and pan your work area with your webcam.
- Confirm your identity with your photo ID (driver’s license, military identification card, passport, or University ID).
- Authenticate yourself by answering a few questions.
Once all of these steps have been completed, you will select the exam you will be taking and your proctor will unlock your exam at which point you can begin.
Take it Now
For urgent or last-minute testing needs, ProctorU offers Take it Now. This optional service allows you to schedule an exam in the next hour based on availability of proctors. Additional charges apply.