Colorado State introduces online Master of Applied Statistics for Fall 2012
Posted Friday, February 24, 2012
Colorado State University announces a new online Master of Applied Statistics (M.A.S.), offered through CSU OnlinePlus, that emphasizes the practical application of statistics, focusing on methods and computational aspects. This curriculum is designed to meet industry demand for trained statisticians, and enables students to start working upon graduation as practicing statisticians in industry, government, or academia.
"The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects increasing demand for statisticians," explains Mary Meyer, associate statistics professor at Colorado State. "The new M.A.S. will quickly prepare students to be competent practitioners of statistics, positioning them for a rewarding career in a growing job market."
Students begin the M.A.S. degree with two noncredit, online math and computing skills analysis courses prior to the start of the Fall semester. The Math Skills for Statistical Analysis (MSSA) and Computing Skills for Statistical Analysis (CSSA) courses provide an intensive review of the skills needed to be successful in this degree (including calculus and linear algebra, and using SAS and R).
After completing the noncredit skills analysis courses, students complete 31 credits (2-credit courses that are 8 weeks in duration in the fall and spring, and a 3-credit, 6-week capstone course in the final summer term). During the first year of the M.A.S. (2012-13), students will only be able to attend part-time, allowing them to complete the degree in about two years. After the first academic year, the full schedule of courses will be available, allowing students to complete the M.A.S. in as little as 11 months.
The M.A.S. program concludes with a six-week capstone consulting class in May and June, during which students will learn communication skills and complete a consulting project that allows them to apply the methods learned during the year.
Those interested in learning more about this degree program can visit http://www.online.colostate.edu/degrees/applied-statistics/ for course descriptions, registration dates, and more.
Colorado State University OnlinePlus programs and educational opportunities, offered through the Division of Continuing Education, support the University's land-grant mission by providing quality graduate and undergraduate degrees, professional development training, certificate programs, online credit and noncredit courses, and industry specific training online and at Learning Centers in Loveland, Denver, and Brighton.
For more information about Colorado State University OnlinePlus, visit www.online.colostate.edu or call 970-491-5288.
« Return to news and events
Browse News and Events
- May 17, 2013
- Colorado State University Presents First OnlinePlus Innovative Educator Award
- January 25, 2013
- Colorado State University Introduces New Online Certificate to Help Food Business Entrepreneurs Navigate Government Regulations and Requirements
- November 21, 2012
- Colorado State University Announces Online Master of Tourism Management
- July 24, 2012
- Colorado State University Announces Two New Online Master of Engineering Degrees
- June 20, 2012
- Colorado State University’s Popular Organizational Performance and Change Master’s Degree Is Now Offered Online
- May 10, 2012
- Colorado State University Expands Online Master of Music Offerings with Two New Degrees
- April 5, 2012
- Biomedical breakthrough advances Alzheimer's research
- February 24, 2012
- Colorado State introduces online Master of Applied Statistics for Fall 2012
- February 16, 2012
- CSU's online degree programs shine in U.S. News rankings
- February 2, 2012
- Colorado State Introduces Online Student Affairs in Higher Education Master's Degree for Fall 2012
- January 27, 2012
- National soil and crop societies honor CSU students and faculty
- January 20, 2012
- CSU among the 'Best Values in Public Colleges 2012' ranked by Kiplinger's
- January 13, 2012
- Military Times Edge recognizes CSU as a "Best for Vets" school
- January 27, 2011
- A life in the binary world
- January 14, 2011
- Students Graduate from Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program
- May 27, 2010
- Teacher Education Program at CSU Awarded Accreditation Status