Digital Content Strategist
Colorado State University OnlinePlus seeks a proactive, knowledgeable, creative, and experienced Digital Content Strategist to manage, develop, edit, and publish optimized, compelling, and clear web and online content within its Marketing and Communications Unit. The Digital Content Strategist plays a key role in driving enrollment growth, expanding access to education, and assuring that students have an exceptional online experience by leading the implementation of content across the web properties that serve both ecommerce and informational needs.
This position is responsible for managing and prioritizing web requests, writing new and editing existing web content, ensuring consistency and quality across the website, tracking user data, and optimizing web user experience. The Digital Content Strategist will also manage the development of all email marketing campaigns, and conduct pay-per-click account maintenance.
The selected applicant will be detail-oriented, highly organized, analytical, results-driven, and curious, with strong technical skills and a desire to develop an in-depth understanding of our diverse program offerings and how to present them online in the context of our competitors, industry, and marketing goals. This individual must have a broad knowledge of web content best practices, demonstrated experience working in HTML, outstanding writing and editing skills, and a passion for excellence and continuous improvement. She/he will bring focus and motivation to produce exceptional results and complete projects on tight deadlines, following rigorous processes, with limited supervision and within an interdependent team environment.
Success in this position requires an individual with an ability to build strong relationships with different types of people, the ability to deal with different work styles, and a personality that can stay positive while working under pressure and who is flexible enough to juggle multiple projects and handle the unexpected. Candidates need to be confident in expressing their ideas and willing to receive constructive feedback from others.
Three years of experience providing technical support for marketing, web, and/or communication teams which MUST have included the following responsibilities: updating web content using Content Management Systems (CMS) and HTML formatting, maintaining Pay-Per-Click (PPC) accounts, and utilizing web analytics to measure and analyze the effectiveness of employer web presence.
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, university or non-correspondence school course work in Marketing, Business Administration, Technical Communication may substitute on a year-for-year basis for up to two years of the required experience.
A very strong candidate will offer several of the following preferred qualifications and characteristics:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Technical Communication or directly related field
- Knowledge of and ability to use Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Understanding of requirements of writing for the Web, such as the use of keywords, hyperlinks, navigation, and user experience
- Knowledge of Google Analytics and understanding of web performance indicators
- Basic understanding of Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and Responsive Web Design (RWD) as well as some of the common challenges when developing content
- Demonstrated experience working in HTML
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading skills including: excellent spelling, grammar, attention to detail, and punctuation skills
- Experience in higher education marketing focused on attracting online and adult students and emerging trends
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work effectively with contributors, designer and web developers
- Outstanding organizational skills to collate material from multiple sources, produce web content within tight deadlines, and manage multiple projects simultaneously
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
- Evaluate all incoming web content change requests and use discretion in implementation of changes, taking into consideration business processes, user accessibility, user experience, and industry best practices
- Oversee all requests for site changes, manage iterative processes required to make changes that impact multiple business units, and set priorities and timelines for implementation
- Manage, organize, and publish digital and web content, including collecting all required assets (photography, copy, metadata, and SEO) for new and existing site pages; conducting thorough and error-free editing and proofing
- Serve as primary contact for all CSU OnlinePlus units to publish new program pages and features to website
- Ensure accuracy, functionality, relevance, brand alignment, and high quality of all web content
- Provide recommendations for improvement of existing content, identifying needs for new content, and researching content of competitors
- Utilize best practices to write and present digital content appropriately to meet a wide variety of goals, including providing information and instruction, generating sales, explaining complex policies
- Support web team with migration of content and upgrade to new CMS
- Develop in-depth knowledge about all degrees, certificates, and courses and ensure consistency, accuracy, and appropriate relationships and links between content
- Research and use Google Analytics dashboards to inform decisions about content needs and usage trends
- Evaluate and report on email performance and provide recommendations to improve effectiveness
- Develop and edit HTML and CSS to create all email newsletters using content provided by marketing writers
- Conduct day-to-day optimization of paid search campaigns, including keyword monitoring, ad copy editing, manual bidding, and conversion tracking
How to Apply
Apply online at: https://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/15220
Clearly document job duties performed that relate to minimum qualifications, preferred qualifications, and essential job duties in the “Work Experience” section on the application. We must be able to evaluate your experience based on this information.
outline dates of employment and hours worked per week for each employment experience listed in the Work Experience section of the Application so that we can calculate full-time experience.
The APPLICATION is the only document that will be utilized to determine if minimum qualifications, as outlined in the job posting, have been met. The Application is considered to be the legal document on file; resumes will not be reviewed for minimum qualification requirements.
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.
Colorado State University is located in Fort Collins, a dynamic community with a population of approximately 142,000, and situated 65 miles north of Denver, at an elevation of 5,000 feet on the western edge of the Great Plains and at the base of the Rocky Mountains. Averaging 300 days of sunshine per year, with low humidity and moderate winters, Fort Collins is ideally located for a variety of recreational, cultural, and family activities.
CSU OnlinePlus delivers Colorado State University programs, services, and experiences to students anywhere, in support of the University's outreach and access mission. To learn more about us, visit www.online.colostate.edu.