About the Position
Colorado State University OnlinePlus seeks a creative problem-solver with customer service and web development skills. An eye for design and solid back-end web development skills are a must, along with the ability to support an existing web environment. Positive attitude and an aptitude for technology is preferred over extensive experience.
The web developer position reports to the Lead Web Developer and is part of the Information Technology unit of the Division of Continuing Education (DCE), within the Office of the Engagement at Colorado State University. The Information Technology unit plays a key role in developing, implementing, advancing, and maintaining web applications and related business process tools. The team works collaboratively across the organization and within the team to continuously improve the customer experience via OnlinePlus’ website and related operations. This position provides web development expertise, as well as excellent customer service to students, staff, and faculty, in support of the Division’s business operations and strategies, as part of delivering quality education at a distance. Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance CSU OnlinePlus’ commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Primary duties include website development and maintenance, application development and administration, and project planning and research. While this position is strongly technical, an understanding of designing content for an action-oriented website with strong web design principles is important.
The successful candidate for this position possesses an aptitude and avid interest in web technology and enjoys working in small, cross-functional teams to improve the customer’s experience and internal business processes and tools. To achieve this, he/she should be self-motivated, have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and be able to translate the needs of the organization into elegant, useful web services.
- Administer e-commerce site with an eye on customer experience and business processes
- Develop, maintain, and enhance existing web environment and stand-alone applications
- Proactively suggest and implement new technology solutions and standards through continually enhancing technical expertise and maintaining awareness of new technology trends
- Support web development projects from planning and initiation to implementation, including research, requirements gathering, development, and post implementation follow-up
- Work collaboratively within the Information Technology team to meet organizational and unit goals and contribute to exceptional technology implementation, operations, and support
- Create and maintain documentation for new and existing applications and processes
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of three years of professional experience in front-end and back-end web development
- Understanding of object-oriented programming principles and a minimum of 1 year of experience using an object-oriented programming language
- Solid understanding of web best practices, including web standards, usability, accessibility, web design principles, and information architecture
- Minimum of 2 years of experience troubleshooting development issues across browsers and platforms
- Minimum of 1 year of experience developing for content management systems
- Attention to detail, project management skills, and ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems, or a closely related field
- Experience with Java, Apache, Tomcat, Velocity, and Struts MVC architecture
- Multiple years of experience with content management systems, e-commerce or dotCMS
- Experience with C#, the .NET framework, and Visual Studio
- Experience working with and integrating APIs
- Understanding of web marketing practices and/or experience collaborating with a marketing team to support web marketing strategies
$63,000 – $68,000 annually, or commensurate with experience, plus benefits, which include tuition benefits, vacation time, sick leave, and ten paid holidays annually. A full description of benefits as an Admin Professional is available at http://www.hrs.colostate.edu/benefits/.
This position is located near the Colorado State University campus in Fort Collins, CO.
Deadline & Application Materials
Applications are accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration, complete information must be received by January 8, 2014. Submit a cover letter (no longer than two pages) addressing the qualifications for the position and a resume electronically in a single PDF or Word file, to Mary Wilson, Mary.Wilson@colostate.edu. References, transcripts, and work samples will be requested at the time of interviews.
About CSU OnlinePlus
Colorado State University OnlinePlus, Division of Continuing Education, is a self-supporting unit that develops and delivers quality programs and educational opportunities in support of the University's land grant mission. CSU OnlinePlus offers 34 degrees, online and at a distance, as well as credit and noncredit courses, certificate programs, and custom training for businesses and industry. CSU OnlinePlus served over 12,200 student customers last year, offering educational programs throughout Northern Colorado, Denver, and via distance education using a variety of delivery methods. CSU OnlinePlus is made up of dynamic individuals working as a collegial team to deliver one of the best distance and online education values in the world.
About Colorado State University
Colorado State University is located in Fort Collins, a dynamic community of approximately 142,000, 65 miles north of Denver. At an elevation of 5,000 feet, Fort Collins averages 300 days of sunshine per year and has a clear, dry climate and generally pleasant temperatures. Situated on the western edge of the Great Plains and at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins is ideally located for a variety of recreational, cultural, and family activities.
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.