The Marketing Writer is charged with creating email and advertising content to support marketing plans that promote online educational programs offered online and at a distance. The writer plays a key role in translating value propositions for various communication vehicles and marketing channels, including websites, email, digital and traditional advertising, with a focus on writing to engage and sell, versus writing to inform.
The position requires a dynamic and eloquent communicator who possesses superlative writing skills to craft messages and content for multiple audiences in a range of styles, from inspiring promotional copy that captures attention and prompts action, to detailed and accurate, yet compelling, program descriptions that communicate our passion for education.
Success in this position requires an individual who can work under pressure, juggle multiple projects, and handle the unexpected. This position requires an ability to produce exceptional content on tight deadlines without supervision and within an interdependent team environment.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in English, Marketing, Journalism, Communications, or related field
- Minimum two years experience as a marketing and communications writer/editor
- Exceptional writing and editing skills with acute attention to grammar and spelling
- Proven success developing creative copy to increase brand awareness, drive inquiries, acquire customers, and maintain relationships with existing partners and customers
- Demonstrated ability to write for advertising, web and email, including linking and repurposing content
- Proven ability to adapt writing style for a wide variety of marketing mediums
- Five years experience as a marketing and communications writer/editor responsible for the development, creation and execution of content as a member of a marketing team
- Proven ability to both build and develop integrated communications strategies and to create the unique messages and copy to carry out the strategy
- Demonstrated ability to translate detailed, technical content into understandable, concise, and compelling marketing content
- Knowledge of basic Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing principles and strategies to write for better search results
- Demonstrated experience compiling and utilizing data to inform copy and message development
- Master's degree from a regionally accredited institution in English, Marketing, Journalism, Communications, or related field
- Manage process of creating clear, concise, and compelling print and online marketing and communications collateral while incorporating proper writing tone, style, and messaging according to the market for:
- Email content to both prospective and current students
- Advertising headlines and copy
- Web and landing page content and features
- Program brochures
- Provide direct oversight in the implementation of email marketing strategy by:
- Brainstorming and implementing email marketing direction
- Maintaining content calendar, controlling timelines and schedules for writing projects, new content development, and content reviews by internal and external experts
- Gathering, organizing and writing marketing content for email newsletters (including targeted stories for 60+ degrees and certificates)
- Managing email campaigns, including planning, testing, evaluating, and reporting
- Managing email testing strategy to optimize performance of email channel
- Develop concise, creative, and memorable messages, ads, and content that achieve strategic and brand goals, maximizing customer acquisition and increasing conversion rates
- Serve as point of contact for interviews of internal and external subject matter experts (i.e. program operations, finance, faculty, etc.) to gather information and write materials based on their input
- Provide recommendations on landing page and online content to ensure content matches targeted keywords, consistent with SEM and SEO goals and objectives
- Guide future message development and improvement by utilizing report analysis and evaluation
- Accurately track multiple rounds of edits and approvals
- Edit copy across a broad range of mediums, from traditional publications to online media
- Participate in strategic, creative brainstorming sessions that produce fresh and unexpected ideas
- Craft compelling and original content for content marketing efforts
- Ensure delivery of effective content that achieves the organization's goals by staying abreast of current industry standards and techniques
- Adhere to standards established in the CSU Writer's Style Guide
$51,000 – $58,000
How to Apply
To apply, visit the CSU website: http://jobs.colostate.edu/postings/16809. Please include a resume, cover letter and 3 writing samples (must be combined into one document to upload) with your application. Two of the writing samples must be from different mediums.
CSU Online, Division of Continuing Education, develops and delivers quality programs and educational opportunities in support of the University's land grant mission. CSU Online provides affordable access to a quality education from wherever students call home around the nation and the world, on a schedule that fits their lives. CSU Online offers 39 degrees, online and at a distance, as well as credit and noncredit courses, certificate programs, and digital badges.
Colorado State University is in Fort Collins, a dynamic community of approximately 142,000, located 65 miles north of Denver. At an elevation of 5,000 feet, Fort Collins averages 300 days of sunshine per year and has a clear, dry climate and generally pleasant temperatures. Situated on the western edge of the Great Plains and at the base of the Rocky Mountains, Fort Collins is ideally located for a variety of recreational, cultural, and family activities.
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services Fort Collins, CO.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search and motor vehicle history.